The shortcut to meet future NOx emission limits
To meet existing Euro 6 and upcoming RDE regulation, SCR technology is finding its way from commercial vehicles into diesel passenger cars. ASDS™ enables OEM’s to unlock the full NOx reduction potential of their SCR catalysts with a simple and user friendly solution that extends the driving range and requires virtually no maintenance.
To meet increasing legislative demands, OEM’s are currently re-designing emissions systems for most diesel cars to include SCR technology. SCR catalysts need ammonia to reduce NOx and currently the most widespread way of delivering this is using liquid urea (AdBlue) injection. This technology, however, has known limitations in NOx removal as well as CO2 and fuel consumption in cold city driving and can leave deposits in the exhaust line that require maintenance.
Amminex ASDS™ technology is different because it directly feeds pure gaseous ammonia to the SCR catalyst in order remove NOx. For OEM’s, this unlocks the full potential of the SCR in the low temperature range (below 200°) enabling a superior NOx removal of up to 99% in all real driving conditions and climates 0with no added fuel consumption or CO2 footprint. In fact, ASDS™ typically achieves 3-5 times better NOx reduction in city driving and up to 20% better NOx reduction on motorways (hot engines).
Amminex’ ASDS™ systems for installation on new diesel passenger cars have been developed on the basis of the positive results achieved with the technology on commercial vehicles. In passenger cars, ASDS™ offers OEM’s a compact and cost effective package with simple integration and interfaces. The systems are based on standard sized cartridges which enable a simple distribution infrastructure and ensure easy access to replacement cartridges, which is key to user acceptance. In addition, the driving range is moren than doubled.
With ASDS™ as a first fit solution, OEM’s in the diesel passenger car segment can meet and even surpass upcoming NOx RDE emission limits using the most typical SCR configurations.
Compact, cost effective and simple to integrate
Amminex’ ASDS™ systems for first-fit on diesel passenger cars have been developed on the basis of the positive results achieved with the technology on commercial vehicles.
In passenger cars, ASDS™ offers OEM’s a compact and cost effective package with simple integration and interfaces. The systems are based on standard sized catridges which enable a simple distribution infrastructure and ensure easy access to replacement cartridges, which is key to user acceptance.
15 million km of stable operation
The ASDS™ technology has already been launched with excellent results on commercial vehicles such as city buses in Copenhagen, and more recently also London and Oslo. Daily operational data from more than 15 million km of real-driving on 300 city buses in Copenhagen shows that vehicles are removing up to 99% of NOx with a Euro VI in-service conformity factor (CF) of 0.3, according to PEMS testing carried out Emissions Analytics. Furthermore, bus operators are reporting, that ASDS™ is not only delivering on its promises in terms NOx reduction. It is also proving stable and effective in eliminating typical reoccurring AdBlue issues, such as solid deposits and crystallizations in the exhaust system.
Amminex is now bringing the same advantages as proven for commercial vehicles to the diesel passenger car segment supporting all SCR configurations already planned for new vehicles. In fact, Amminex has already demonstrated and documented that ASDS™ works in small to medium sized engines in diesel passenger cars, focusing on compliance with existing and future legislation, fuel savings, CO2 benefits and NO2 reduction. Both in an engine lab environment and in real driving conditions on the road.
For diesel passenger car OEM’s the key advantages are:
- Excellent NOx and NO2 reduction performance in congested city driving and cold climates due to the enhanced low temperature performance of any SCR configuration. Full compliance with existing and upcoming RDE emissions legislation.
- No trade-off in terms of extra fuel consumption or CO2 emissions, and no liquid deposits in the exhaust line since ASDS™ relies on ammonia gas as opposed to urea (AdBlue) liquid injection
- Compact and scalable design; always twice the driving range for same size AdBlue system since ASDS™ removes NOx with gaseous ammonia stored in a salt (AdAmmine®) which is capable of holding large quantites of NH3.
- Easy and safe for drivers to exchange cartridges. NH3 in a salt replaces AdBlue liquid which means no spills. Cartridges are quickly inserted with a snap-lock. OEM’s can also choose to scale cartridge exchange to meet service intervals with no driver interaction.
- Highly cost effective, space-efficient and flexible system. Minimum impact on car body needed to upgrade vehicles to Euro6d andn beyond. Location of ASDS™ system independent of SCR. Simple exhaust interface with short mixing length and no need for expensive compressed air liquid injector system.
- Well-functioning refill infrastructure and efficient integrated logistical distribution services in place and capable of supporting large scale first-fit adoption of the technology by OEM’s
Family life with an ASDS™ diesel passenger car
How will the practical everyday life look like for a family with an ASDS™ diesel car? How and where will they change the cartridges containing the gaseous ammonia used to remove NOx? What about the driving range and how would the vehicle improve the air environment?
Watch this two-minute video to get the answers and a glimpse of what the future of clean diesel driving looks like!